Thursday 4 April 2019

Slap a Label on it and Put it in a Box

I got a tattoo on my ring finger. It's a ring of barbed wire. Very symbolic. Can you guess what it means?
My son was rather excited about it. He Instagrammed it with the caption, 'When will your mother?'
I guess it's not very motherly of me to be getting tattoos 'at my big age'.
I intend to get more.
That's our topic for today: fitting in boxes.
Who invented these boxes we're supposed to fit in, I wonder? I suspect it was a group of men with low self-esteem, but I have no proof, so I won't make the assertion. People who feel insecure are reassured by the existence of boxes; by amorphous collectives in the midst of which they can hide.
I saw an article on twitter the other day saying that every girl has a beauty bag somewhere and trying to tell us what should be in it.
Do they mean every 'white' girl? Or maybe every 'American' girl? Because as far as I know, I'm a girl, but I have never, even in my most vain days, had a beauty bag.
So...
Is it just another box we're all supposed to fit in or am I, in reality, gender fluid? Perhaps I am. I don't know enough about gender fluidity to say.
I tend to have the occasional girl crush but I thought, I mean that's normal right? Otherwise, why would the phrase exist? It never occurred to me that I might be just a bicon living.
Labels.
I am definitely more in the middle of the Kinsey scale I think than I previously imagined. But what does that mean anyway?
So many celebrities are coming out as bisexual just in the first months of 2019 and I think that they too, like me, are coming to the realization that black and white doesn't exist. I think if we were not all intent on sticking to our little boxes, we'd find that we are probably all milling around somewhere in the middle of the Kinsey.
I think that's why men are so rabid about sticking to "manly" things and going out of their way to prove that they are "Not Gay". It's because they are afraid of themselves.
The Greeks of Sparta were all bisexual. They used to go to war and have sex with each other and then come home and have sex with their wives. Same thing in prison. It's because we're all neither one or the other. We are all fluid.
It's tremendously liberating to realize this. It opens up a whole nother dimension of possibility. As I prepare to get my second tattoo - a devil's trap on my bosom - I cannot wait to see in what other ways I am not a stereotype.
Perhaps this is why I tend to write non-stereotypical characters for all my books.
Life is so crazy.

No comments: