Saturday 11 April 2020

Sometimes You Gotta Be 'Selfish'




Hi. How are you doing? I'm great. Which means I'm not; not really. I know I shouldn't be complaining about a little menstrual bullshit but for one thing, it ain't little and for another, hell yeah I should be complaining about it.
Why not?
Is my pain not valid?
Of course, it is.
Every time I use the word 'shouldn't' in reference to myself I get annoyed. When I was learning to be a counsellor so long ago, and thus also healing my own trauma, we were told to always eliminate the word, "should" from our mindset.
It's the cause of all our problems.
"I should have sold a million books by now."
"I'm thirty, I should be married by now."
"You should leave him. he's no good for you..."
Okay, maybe that last one is valid.
Anyway, my point is my pain matters just as much as all those afflicted by COVID-19 or any other disease, or injury. And so does yours.
So if you're feeling hard done by and feel guilty about expressing it in the wake of the apocalypse, I am here to give you permission. I give you permission to cry over missing your birthday celebration that you'd planned on having on an island in the Caribbean. I give you permission to cry if you were meant to be the principal speaker at a conference for furries, and now it was cancelled. Whatever pain you're feeling, let it out.
Once you've cried, listen to my podcast. I've embedded it here for your convenience. It might make you laugh a little or it might not. Either way, it's there.

No comments: