Tuesday 21 August 2018

Stream of Consciousness Blogging is Educational

I just finished a 6500-word assignment that ideally should have taken me one day to write. Instead, it took me two weeks.
It was that boring.
Writing it was literally, physically depressing. I blame myself because I never like to say no to any assignment but considering how much time this one has taken, as compared to how much I'll earn from it, it wasn't just a waste of time.
It made me go at a serious loss.
Unfortunately, it's not possible to know when an assignment is going to leach your energy and take too much out of you until you start it. Who knew writing about Car Games was so soul destroying?
So here I am; a new lesson learned. Not sure what the lesson is though. Keep away from writing inane articles? Or power through them and write faster? I think it's the former.
I think.
I'm more likely to convince myself to do the latter.
Self-awareness is so important.
I've been feeling like I'm wading underwater, trying to walk forward while the entire weight of the water is working against me. Then just the thought of being under water makes me anxious. And not finishing what I start makes me anxious.
I used to scoff at people who said they suffered from 'anxiety'. I felt like, dude, that's just a normal everyday thing that people have. And that was because I had it and didn't know it wasn't 'normal' to feel like that most of the time. I take so much for granted that is actually abnormal. For example, pain.
When I feel pain, I don't treat it. I ignore it. I assume that it'll go away. I suffer through it because it doesn't occur to me to do something about it until it's affecting my work. Then I take medicine because otherwise, I'll have to stop working. I don't even realize I'm doing it until I take medicine, feel better and wonder, "Why didn't I just do that in the first place?"
African parenting guys. It teaches you to just suffer through that shit. If you can still walk, everything's fine.
Strangely enough, if my son tells me he has a headache, I give him medicine immediately. If it comes back the next day, it's off to the hospital. So different standards; in fact, opposite standards for him and me.
It's weird how wiring works.
I came on here to blow off some 'I"m so happy I finished that damned assignment!" steam with a short story. I ended up streaming my consciousness.
How about I give you an excerpt then from Marcus Devereux? I'd like to hear what you think about me writing from the point of view of a baby.


No comments: