Thursday 7 February 2019

Book Marketing for Dummies

So tell me, how is my book launch going? How many of you have hit the pre-order link for Cinderella By Any Other Name? Come on, hit me up in the comments, so I can gauge how well this marketing plan is going.
Well...marketing plan might be overstating things.
More like shooting my shot and hoping it hits something. See my plan for this story was quite different. I had submitted it to an African magazine for publication and that was it, I had moved on. But then after about a month or more, they get back to me and say, "Your story is not consistent with the theme of our magazine (speculative fiction) and so if you have another one yada yada."
Which kind of had me going like "Dammit!"
I didn't want to do another book launch for a while. I was saving it for Marcus Devereux.
So I thought okay, what do I do? Submit it to another magazine or publish?
I decided to do both; submit and publish and see which one yielded fruit first.
Hence, my lack of an actual book launch plan. However, I think I've been doing okay so far, yeah? Blogging daily, having a countdown, mentioning the book in any context I find myself in...
Hoping it all works...
I mean don't get me wrong. I have read up on everything, I have consulted all relevant facebook groups...I've done my research people. And what all the 'wisdom' out there amounts to is, "copy what the bestsellers are doing."
But...yesterday I went on to the kindle store just to see if I could find a book to download. The way I shop for book is that I wait for something to catch my eye. To stand out from the rest. This time I said to myself after scrolling through page one and seeing nothing but white people on the cover of what was essentially the same book, over and over and over.
So I said to myself, "First book with black people, I'm buying."
The first book with black people on it was essentially same as the white people except the black people were church people. I loathe church people - such a hypocritical bunch of self-righteous sheeple. Like I cannot stand them. They do not speak in real sentences. Sorry.
So I scrolled on by and five pages in, I admitted defeat. When you try to find something interesting to read on Kindle it really helps you to understand why it's such a challenge making a sale. They show you the bestsellers, the books like Becoming which are already selling millions. And then they use whatever algorithms it is and whoever has the biggest advertising budget to essentially show you the same book a million times over. Unless you've heard of the author or the book before you get on amazon, you're not likely to find it.
That's why it boggles my mind when I see fellow authors complaining about having to have social media while simultaneously complaining that their books are not selling. People really think, in 2019, that you can just put your book out there, sit on your hands and expect it to sell. It's super dumb.
People are so super dumb these days.
I wish that there was a way to wade through the detritus and find interesting reads like you can do in a brick and mortar shop. There is so much regulation online even on just what you are enabled to see, and the censorship gets worse and worse every day, that it's almost impossible to exist outside this tiny sphere of puritanism and policing that we are continuously sucked into.
That's how you know the apocalypse is here.
However, here we still in the out lands, in the free lands, in the badlands.
Here you can still think for yourself.
Now do as I say and buy my book.



No comments: