Friday 1 February 2019

Writing Depression As A Hidden Plot Device

What do you know about Depression? You, like me, might have thought it was about being a sad sac and dragging oneself everywhere with your lips permanently turned down like this :(.
But that's not depression; that's sadness.
Who knew? They're not the same.
I was like smack dab in the middle of writing Nadia before I realized that my poor heroine is super-depressed. Her depression of course stemmed from unresolved childhood traumas and feeling out of control in her life.
But if you read Nadia, it might not jump out at you like, whoa, this book is a black hole. Oh no, she's sassy, sarcastic, strong, resilient; which makes it all the more difficult to recognize that she is drowning.
I think that a lot of people are going about their lives, living with trauma, living with depression and just getting on with it, assuming that "life is a bitch and then you die" right?
The road less traveled, a novel by some psychologist whose name I forgot, literally begins with the sentence, Life is Hard. I learned it as a part of my higher diploma in counseling studies.
So when I watched The Secret and it said the exact opposite thing. That life should be easy, not hard. That things come to us because we summon them; it was a paradigm shift hard to fathom.
Both of these things are true though. Life is hard but how easily you navigate it does depend on your state of mind.
So how can you control your state of mind when you don't even know you're depressed?
It's a conundrum.
I might be making Cinderella By Any Other Name sound uncommonly deep when you could just disregard all this and read a story.
But I cannot escape from my own introspection.
The good news is, I am also open to hearing yours.
So, February 14th, let the theories abound.

No comments: